20 May 2009

Pulp Fiction: My tribute

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." - Ezekiel 25:17


It is not the passage that I liked, but the way Jules delivers the passage everytime he kills somebody.
Hell yeah! welcome to Pulp Fiction, baby!
Had heard a lot about this movie from people, but never got the chance to see it myself. And guess what? I watched it at least 5 times till now, in two months! Quite an achievement, eh?
There were romantic comedies, now gangster movies, my taste for sure, is expanding. :) [Will tell you the story about my other fave gangster movies later.]
Pulp Fiction is a straight forward movie with main characters coming across each other a few times, otherwise having their separate story lines.
The story is told in parts, and I tell you, it is done brilliantly. I especially liked Jules and Vincent's roles as the unassuming, indifferent gangsters. Just sheer brilliance, Samuel L. Jackson as Jules and John Travolta as Vincent Vega.
I like this piece of conversation that happens in Jimmie's house when Jules and Vincent reach there with a dead body in their car.
Jimmie: I'm talkin'. Now let me ask you a question, Jules. When you drove in here, did you notice a sign out front that said, "Dead nigger storage?"
Jules starts to "Jimmie" him
Jimmie: Answer to question. Did you see a sign out in front of my house that said, "Dead nigger storage?"
Jules: Naw man, I didn't.
Jimmie: You know why you didn't see that sign?
Jules: Why?
Jimmie: 'Cause storin' dead niggers ain't my f**kin' business!
Dark humor!
Amongst most of the things I liked about this movie, one is the pre-movie score named "Miserlou"(a Greek song).

Overall I rate this movie 9.99 out of 10. I had to deduct 0.01 for the fear of being partial to this movie. :)
A must watch for those who love, gorge on the classics.
Cast:
John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames, Uma Thurman.

Transcript courtesy: http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/pulp.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment