14 February 2008

Of ads and jingles

Sometimes when I'm down, bored or upset, I dont feel like talking, I curse each and every object, alive or dead and even then satisfaction eludes me. The last resort is the idiot box, for it wont retort back even if you say something nasty about it. Yes I mean it, the idiot-box, and I dont like soaps, the reality shows or the movies that the airing channels boast of, but one thing about it that always cheers me up are advertisements. It's the ads I watch TV for... :)
Indian ads have come a long way from the time, when Jaaved Jaafri jumped out of the office breaking the window in Humdard ka Cinkara and "Raju tumhare daant toh moti jaise chamak rahein hain". The widest variety of ads that they air in each channel are treat to watch and amuses me to an extent undefinable. Some are funny, some are stupid, some are vulgar, some are outrageously ridiculous and some are meaningful, yet they all have same effect on me, they relieve pressure off me. I've many favorites and the list keeps changing, rather keep getting appended in my long list of favorites. These ads came and went by, but the dont stop me from amusement.
My personal favorite these days is Vodafone Astrology alerts, where a guy waits for this partner-to-be in a lift the whole day.
I remember my old days when I was barely six or seven, television had just hit the scene and sunday used to be the day when Doordarshan used to telecast everything good that used to be in its kitty. So our neighbours used to come to our place to watch Mahabharata, it used to start from 9AM. It was a fine sunday for everybody, pleasant weather, doordarshan tuned TV and we the viewers, but not for my uncle, who was watching it relishing with equal enthusiasm, oblivion of the question that would hit him like no other. After the first session of Mahabharata got over, TV screen was flooded by a flurry of ads. And then came an ad.... "Pyaar hua, ikraar hua hai, pyaar se fir kyon darta hai dil...." I as an avid ad fan, hadn't been able to get hold of this ad, the more I watched the more anxious I used to become, so finally I had to give answers to my anxiety, the answer I dint have, so I asked my all-knowing uncle, what this ad was about! So I asked, all that followed was a deep silence. After few gasping uncomfortable(for everybody except me) moments, my uncle said-"You'll know it when the time comes...". The time flew by, doordarshan got replaced but myriad new channels, that particular ad went out of broadcast, and I've come of an age where I can make out the messages that ads want to deliver across the consumers, but still I can't forget that particular incident!
And did I tell you, my time came and I knew it all ?!

No comments:

Post a Comment